The Supreme Court of the United States ruled that same sex marriages are legal in all 5o states, granting equality under the law to everyone. Hoooray! This ruling has no effect on anyone who isn’t a same sex couple. Churches are exempt from discrimination laws. They can refuse to marry gay couples if they want to. Most Catholic churches will not allow non-Catholics to be wed there. Churches can also welcome marriage equality and marry people. It’s not a big deal to those who aren’t in a same sex couple. Most things will not change.
To people who are in a same sex couple, it is a big deal. They can be on their partner’s health insurance. They can receive a deceased partner’s social security and veteran’s benefits. Even simple things like hospital visitation and funeral planning that married couples are afforded are not afforded to unmarried couples. They could be denied the right to visit their partner in a hospital and then be denied the right to bury them according to their wishes. That actually happens. These basic human rights are too important to deny.
An Oct. 2, 2009 analysis by the New York Times estimated that same-sex couples denied marriage benefits will incur an additional $41,196 to $467,562 in expenses over their lifetimes compared with married heterosexual couples.
In order to celebrate the SCOTUS doing the right thing, I made cupcakes! These cupcakes are super quick and easy to make, and I actually just used a cake mix.
- Your Favorite White Cake Recipe
- Food Coloring
- I won't go into how to make the cake batter. Any white cake recipe, even a box cake, will work. Just make the white cake per the instructions.
- Divide into bowls. I used four different colors so I divided mine into fours.
- Add the food coloring. If you use liquid, just add a few drops at a time. You can use natural food coloring too.
- Layer the colors. You can use a spoon or squeeze bottles. Squeeze bottles will be neater. The last color you layer will be the middle color.
- Bake per the instructions of your cake mix.